I am very pleased with the Republican takeover of the House of Representatives. I agree with many of their beliefs and values.
The newly elected republicans’ beliefs on family life and values are very critical to the society here in America. As a member of the Catholic Church, I support their ideas of a pro-life, pro-family legislation. Newly elected congressman Rob Wittman supports “marriage as a union between one man and one woman”, which I strongly believe in. This bond should only be shared by two, which are the opposite sex. Wittman also supports trying to curb internet pornography and obscenity, two of the largest problems in the country at this time, and it is sinful and should be ended.
Another large issue in American life is that of Illegal immigration. I agree with the newly elected congressmen that we do need to secure our borders, breaking the law is no excuse, but that legal immigration should be made easier. As it says in the bible, "You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; have the same love for him as for yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt" (Lv 19:33-34). These people need an equal opportunity to make a good life and pursue happiness, but without costing others.
According to the Catholic beliefs, and therefore what I believe, we are to “cultivate and care for God’s creation”. We must cultivate and care for earth as God does, with love and wisdom. As time goes on though, we have cared less and less for this beautiful creation and we need leaders to intervene and stand up against issues such as global warming. We need more renewable energy and energy efficiency, as this will eventually lead to a cleaner world. Newly elected congressmen Bobby Scott is very centered on the idea of the environment and says about offshore drilling, “The Commonwealth’s beaches and the Chesapeake Bay should not be put at risk while the public may only enjoy negligible benefits”.
Congressman Rob Wittman believes that education requires “strengthening the role of the parents”, and I would have to agree. Parents play a key role in children’s education, as teachers can teach all the knowledge to the younger ones, but the parents helps decide what and where this knowledge is used. It is also necessary that the school be organized, and that the teachers are well qualified. These new leaders have made a commitment to follow through with these ideas of having parents more involved and teachers more qualified, and I believe in long term, it will result in success of our country.
Again, I am very pleased with election results of this year, and would like to wish the new leaders of our congress the best of luck in fulfilling their promises and roles.
-T.A.
(Blake and Kathryn)
No comments:
Post a Comment